Criteria for Selecting Room Facilitators
This position requires an individual who is assertive, organized, and possesses leadership, customer service, communication and problem solving skills. The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Managing and overseeing activities in respective competition category
- Hosting participants, judges, and observers
- Maintaining crowd control
- Communicating judging procedures to audience
- Communicating procedures and special instructions to contestants before judging
- Preparing contestants music for competition
- Keeping and reporting contestant time to judges
- Assuring that judges’ needs are met (i.e. copies, pencils, water, etc.)
- Collecting judge score sheets during breaks and at the end of the competition
- Compiling, sort and prepare student evaluations for distribution
- Performing such other duties that may be requested by the ACT-SO Chairperson
In addition, the room facilitator should open the competition by introducing the judges and stating the rules for managing the competition room. The room facilitator should also call students’ competition numbers. If a number is called for a student competing in another category, you should return to them after the last contestant if they miss their place.
The room facilitator should keep time for each contestant in a timed category (i.e. oratory, music vocal/classical, etc.).
We ask that you remain until the competition for your category is over.
The ACT-SO Columbia Competition will be held on Saturday, April 14th from 9:30am-12pm at South Carolina Science Academy (2015 Marion Street, Columbia).
To prepare for this year’s competition, we ask that ALL volunteers join us on no later than 8am at the school for our Volunteer Orientation.