The science or art of arranging music by ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination or in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity.
- Only one (1) original notarized composition with six (6) copies of the notarized original should be submitted on or before the specified deadline.
- The top of each page must include the contestant’s name, page number and unit name and number.
- The composition must be neatly and precisely written on music manuscript paper, in such a manner that any trained musician could perform the composition. Before submission, all electronically generated manuscripts (Finale, Sibelius, etc.) must be proofread to ensure proper quantization in the final print generated composition.
- The contestant must provide a CD recording of the composition and be prepared to perform or have the composition performed on site. A piano will be the only instrument provided.
- The composition must not exceed five (5) minutes.
- Creative sense (10 pts)
- Form (20 pts)
- Harmonic & Rhythmic Interest (20 pts)
- Strength of Melodic Line (20 pts)
- Use of Theory (20 pts)
- Quality of Transcript (10 pts)
Print & Download the Requirements & Criteria for this Category
Print & Download the Requirements For All Humanities
Print & Download the Requirements for All Categories
Mentors Coaching Log
Mentors Evaluation Form