Music Instrumental (Contemporary)
The art of performing with a device used to produce music with the tones of the present.
- The musical selection must be one specifically written for solo performances. The performance may be an excerpt and may not exceed five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirements are subject to disqualification.)
- The selection performed should feature a solo performance. If other players are needed (as in a jazz selection), they must be provided by the contestant.
- The only instrument provided for performance will be a piano. Any additional instruments or equipment needed must be provided by the contestant.
- The selection of music and instrument is solely the decision of the contestant. The only instrument provided for the performances will be a piano. Examples of contemporary music are Broadway, Jazz, Gospel, Blues, etc.
- Effectiveness of Style, Improvisation (20 pts)
- Intonation, Touch (piano) (20 pts)
- Stage Presence, Choice of Music (20 pts)
- Technique, Articulation, Breathing, Tonality, Rhythm, Facility (20 pts)
- Tone Quality, Beauty, Control, Characteristic Timbre (20 pts)
Print & Download the Requirements & Criteria for this Category
Print & Download the Requirements For All Performing Arts
Print & Download the Requirements for All Categories
Mentors Coaching Log
Mentors Evaluation Form