Music Vocal (Contemporary)
The art of performing with the human voice rhythmic tones or sounds to produce music with the tones of the present.
- Only one (1) song is to be performed, and it must not exceed five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to disqualification.)
- Musical accompaniment can be provided by the contestant on a CD or mp3 player. The music should contain only the instrumental version of the song. Contestants are encouraged to provide a backup.
- Piano accompaniment is available only if the contestant has provided and brings his/her own sheet music.
- Contestants must present six copies of the sheet music to the judges at the time of competition.
- The material must be memorized.
- Costumes are not permitted.
- Examples of contemporary music are Broadway, Jazz, R&B, Gospel, Blues, Soul and Country and Western.
- Choice of Music (15 pts) – Matched to Vocal Ability
- Interpretation (20 pts)
- Stage Presence (15 pts)
- Comfort on and Control of Stage
- Rapport With Audience
- Technique (25 pts)
- Tone Quality (25 pts)
- Beauty of Sound
- Intonation and Diction
Print & Download the Requirements & Criteria for this Category
Print & Download the Requirements For All Performing Arts
Print & Download the Requirements for All Categories
Mentors Coaching Log
Mentors Evaluation Form