A literary composition developed for the stage.
- Only one (1) original notarized one act play, with six (6) copies of the notarized original, should be submitted on or before the specified deadline.
- The play must be an original (written only by the contestant).
- The play must be typed and double spaced, not to exceed twenty (20) pages. A one-page synopsis must be included.
- The top of each page must include the contestant’s name, page number and unit name and number.
- The contestant must be prepared to answer questions by the judges.
- Characterization (10 pts) – Is there a protagonist of some type? Is there an antagonist? Are the characters in the play developed? Are the roles defined?
- Clarity (10 pts) – Is the author’s theme and purpose clearly stated?
- Content (25 pts) – Is the subject matter or situation of the play relevant, creative, and/or controversial?
- Dialogue(10 pts) – Is the word usage or phrasing consistent with the character? Does the dialogue advance the plotline or develop the character’s background?
- Mechanics (10 pts) – Is the manuscript clearly typed? Are there errors in spelling and/or grammar? Are the stage directions clearly stated? Are the settings and characters clearly indicated?
- Plot (25 pts) – Has the storyline been clearly defined? Has the action of the play been chronologically developed? Is there evidence of:
- Style (10 pts) – Has the playwright established a definitive method or style?
Print & Download the Requirements & Criteria for this Category
Print & Download the Requirements For All Humanities
Print & Download the Requirements for All Categories
Mentors Coaching Log
Mentors Evaluation Form